Greens by-election candidate for Newcastle Cr Michael Osborne has labeled Labor’s rehashed convention centre announcement as evidence they have learnt nothing from their previous developer mistakes.
Greens Newcastle Candidate Cr Michael Osborne said, “That Labor wants to hand over our public foreshore to a developer to build a convention centre shows how little they have learnt from past mistakes.”
“The people of Newcastle don’t need more developer driven planning, we need a community led plan to build a smarter future. Labor’s Convention Centre proposal is not a plan, it’s just a shiny thing to distract from their lack of vision for Newcastle,” Cr Michael Osborne said.
“The Greens have a vision for Newcastle. It is one of a community connected with a transport Master Plan for the city and region; it retains our foreshore for the enjoyment of residents and visitors; revitalises the city with small businesses and a vibrant night-life; and creates jobs with appropriate development in the city’s west,” Cr Michael Osborne said.
“The community is right to be cynical about recycled announcement’s that are little more than a thought bubble. Let’s have a convention centre, and an art gallery, and a jobs precinct, and let’s join them together with great public transport and let’s work out how to do it as a community, not put it in the hands of developers,” Cr Michael Osborne said.
Media contact: Michael Osborne 0439 442 984
Join the Newcastle Greens
- Greens commit to improving rental security for Newcastle
- #cantstandby – Ending Migrant Detention in Australia
- Newcastle Greens – Campaign Planning Day, 30th October
- Crown Land Seminar – Thursday October 20th
- More bluster and bullying from Baird on the Newcastle rail rezoning
- Real Film Festival Newcvastle
- Broke Screening – 21 August
- Greens call for rail corridor protection now
- End Domestic Violence Against Women
- Voters in the Hunter will determine the final Senate seat, say Greens
Coal Seam Gas by the Numbers: ABC NewsThe ABC's data journalism project has pulled together information from dozens of sources to provide an insight into the promise and the dangers inherent in the coal seam gas rush. http://www.abc.net.au/news/specials/coal-seam-gas-by-the-numbers/