The process for approval of a fourth coal terminal for Newcastle is underway. If built the coal terminal will have an export capacity of 120 million tonnes per year.
That’s 41 more coal trains per day, 15 new ‘mega pit’ coal mines, 23 threatened species without habitat, 288 million tonnes of green house gases emmitted and potential release of toxins into the Hunter River…but it’s not in place yet…with action we can slow it down to a stand still.
Coal Terminal Action Group* will be carrying out doorknocking in a suburb near you to find out what the community wants and what concerns they have with such a massive development.
You have been sent this email because we want you to be a part of the doorknocking survey team. Please join us!
The surveying will take place on Sunday, 3rd June 2012.
The day will begin with door knocking survey training from Lindsay Souter, founder of the 100% Renewables campaign, who ran a highly successful door knocking campaign in 2010. Teams will travel together to their door knocking location and carry out the door knocking in pairs, stop for a tea break, carry out more door knocking and then regroup at Hunter community Environment Centre.
A doorknocking survey is a great tool for
– engaging with our community about their views on coal port expansion
– informing them about what’s being planned
– gathering support for future campaigning
– using the results for media and
– lobbying politicians that the people of Newcastle have had enough.
We aim to have 1000 surveys completed and have the community on fire with debate about this issue.
1. RSVP to Tess Lieberman email@example.com 0411 094 601
2. Mark the date in your diary
3. Organise for a baby sitter or grandparents to mind the kids
4. Invite your friends to be a part of your team- forward this email to your email lists
*Coal Terminal Action Group is a collaboration of 14 local community and environment groups, working to stop the proposed 4th Coal Terminal at Kooragang. We meet fortnightly at Hunter Community Environment. Contact George Woods on 0438223771.