|Make the call for a moratorium on coal seam gas
Thursday 15th March will be an historic day in the NSW Parliament. It will be the first time that any Parliament in Australia has voted on a Coal Seam Gas Moratorium Bill.
The Bill is supported by the NSW Greens and the ALP. So it only needs 2 more members of the NSW Upper House to vote for the Bill and it will pass.
The remaining members of the Upper House need to hear from you urgently this week. Please get on the phone and ask the key players to vote for the CSG Moratorium Bill on Thursday. (While making a phone call is the most effective tactic, by clicking on the email address below a template email will appear – please modify and personalise if you have time)
Numbers to call:
The Shooters and Fishers need to hear that coal seam gas will undermine landholder rights, alienate public lands from recreation, and threaten our waterways and fisheries.
These four people hold the future of the coal seam gas moratorium in the palm of their hand. They can join with the other parties to get this Bill passed through the NSW Upper House. Please call them today.
If you have some more time, it’s worth letting the National Party know how you feel. At the moment they are opposing the Bill, but if just one of them had the courage to cross the floor and vote for the Bill, it would create a political earthquake which could see the Bill passed. The National Party needs to know that its rural constituents want this Bill to pass and if it doesn’t, rural communities will be left to fend for themselves against gigantic corporations who threaten their livelihoods, their economic base and their way of life.
Call the following National Party members and ask them to put the interests of their constituents above party politics and vote for the CSG Moratorium Bill:
Take action today for our land and our water.
The debate on the bill will continue between 9:30am and 1:00pm Thursday 15 March. You are invited to attend the public gallery of the Legislative Council to watch the debate and the vote on the bill. We all need to watch how our representatives represent our views in the Parliament.
Lock The Gate Alliance
|The LOCK THE GATE Alliance is a national alliance of over 130 community, industry and environmental groups and over 1200 supporters concerned with the devastating impact that certain inadequately assessed and inadequately-regulated fossil fuel extraction industries are having on our short and long term physical, social, environmental and economic wellbeing. We are particularly concerned with the damage caused by the coal and coal seam gas (CSG) mining industries.|
Join the Newcastle Greens
- Massive community opposition to Asset Energy’s offshore oil and gas project
- Newcastle Greens call for climate leadership and clean politics.
- Tourism potential goes begging in Wallsend and the west
- Greens call on Wallsend candidates to make NSW A Safe State!
- Greens announce two strong young activists as their candidates for Newcastle and Wallsend
- John Mackenzie Announced as Greens Candidate for Newcastle
- The Inaugural Margaret Henry Lecture
- NSW State Election March 2019 Preselection
- Newcastle City Councillor, Dr John Mackenzie nominates to stand as the Newcastle Greens candidate for the next Federal election
- Greens Back Council’s Commitment to Ambitious Affordable Housing Program